I think I’ve tried just about every diet going. I’ve done The South Beach Diet, The Atkins Diet, I even tried The Cabbage Diet (apologies to my immediate family for that one). I did experience some success. I lost some weight, but the main problem I encountered was that I wasn’t able to keep it going. I always started with good intentions but somewhere along the dieting road I lost my motivation. If you are reading this I know you feel the same, so here to help you are my five top tips to help you recapture your weight loss mo-jo!
HELP, I’M NOT LOSING WEIGHT!
- BE REALISTIC: I want to marry Brad Pitt and fly away with him in a hot air balloon to Bali but guess what? It ain’t gonna happen. Rule Numero Uno to a successful diet is to be realistic. Set yourself an attainable goal each week. If you set yourself unrealistic targets you will set yourself up for failure. Be kind to yourself and don’t do that! If you struggle with the whole goal-setting and planning process check out my blog post on How To Set Goals And Stick To Them.
2. DON’T EAT WEIRD STUFF: It may be that the latest dieting fad is to eat blah blah berries mixed with Yak’s milk but that doesn’t mean you have to follow it. Keep it real. If you follow a fad diet requiring you to obtain ingredients that no-one has ever heard of, or ridiculously priced produce, you are not going to be following it for long. Select a reasonable eating plan that allows you a bit of the good stuff now and then whilst still promoting health and wellness. Check out my delicious breakfast recipes for example or my healthy smoothies. A balanced healthy eating plan is much more likely to be successful than following the latest trend.
3. GET MOVIN’: I hate to break it to ya but you need to move and shake the tree a little bit in order to drop those apples. Don’t understand? You need to move your butt to lose some pounds! I’m not talking about doing crazy stuff like going to a gym (although that would be great), I’m talking about doing at least one exercise every day. It can be something small and simple but you need to move.
In order to lose weight you need to have a calorie deficit. What that means, is that you have to use up more calories than you are eating. Good nutrition and daily activity go hand in hand to produce controlled and sustained weight loss. It’s the best way to lose weight and keep it off.
4. BECOME YOUR OWN PA: Want to stay motivated? You need to see your successes however small. Become your own secretary and keep a record of how you are doing. This can be something as simple as putting a tick or a sticker on your calendar for every junk free day, or for each day you’ve completed a small exercise. As you see your successes pile up, you’ll feel motivated to continue. Also record your weight loss and share it smugly on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. There’s nothing more motivating than celebrating your success!
5. VISUAL PROMPTS: Humans are visual creatures. We are motivated by pictures and moving images. Try to make something that you can look at every day that will boost your motivation and also support you if you’re feeling tempted. You can do this by making a board on Pinterest, sticking your weight loss target on your fridge, having a book of motivational quotes or by keeping a gallery of inspirational images on your phone. Do whatever works for you.
If you would like further support, please sign up to The Stick Insectz Community via the sign-up box. I have a selection of FREE resources (sample shown below) to help you on your weight loss journey.
Have trouble signing up or want to suggest a resource for me to make? Drop me a line via the contact box or leave a comment in the comment box below and I’ll get on it.
My 7 Day Food Journal allows you to track your eating patterns over the course of one week and plan your diet strategy going forward.
Sign up and download my exercise plan incorporating cardio and workouts for legs, core and arms.